Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Sweetest Finish

My daughter is my shadow, mini-me, helper, and number one fan. Most of the time, I absolutely love being her all time favorite person in the world (sometimes it can be a bit exhausting, but I am sure you all don't know anything about that :) She likes to sit with me when I sew and we talk and play and she asks one million questions and I try my best to answer them all. She knows that pins are sharp and the iron is hot and that she is not allowed to touch either of them. I really cherish this time we spend together. I want her to know that she can do anything by applying herself and trying and I hope our sewing time will help teach her that lesson in a small way.

She asked me not long ago if she could sew with me, so we gathered some scraps and she sat on my lap and we sewed through those scraps until her little heart was content. A week or so later, I found myself at JoAnn's, with her in tow, and all of their flannel was on sale (60% off!). So, I let her pick her favorite one and got a two yard cut of it.

Today she asked if we could sew a blanket. And that is exactly what we did.

She sewed this entire blanket! We put right sides together and stitched around, turned it and she poked out the corners (with her tiny little fingers), then she chose a zig zag stitch and we top stitched around the edges. After that, I told her we probably needed some stitching in the center to keep everything in place and she decided we needed three lines of zig zag stitching at random intervals across the blanket. When it was time to clip threads, she got upset I wouldn't let her use the "big girl scissors" and she threw a tantrum, as 3 year olds are wont to do. She ran to her room and slammed the door (yes, already, at 3). I decided the blanket needed another little touch, so I did this, to remind her that I love her, even when she is being a stinker...

She got over her tantrum fairly quickly and she is in LOVE with her blanket. We even had to FaceTime Grandma to show her.

I am so proud of her. This is our first official project completion together and I am looking forward to many more :)

Cheers, Katie

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts

 

8 comments:

  1. what wonderful memories she will have of quilting with her mommy. When she's an adult and people ask her how she learned to quilt, she will have those sweet memories of sitting at the machine with you. what a good mom you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is so sweet and so is your daughter. (At least in the picture... I have 2 girls of my own, so I know the photos don't always match the attitude, LOL!)

    Tell her that she did a *fabulous* job on her quilt!! (If it helps, I still make my 6 year old use safety scissors... I'm just starting to let my 9 year old use "big girl" ones.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thanks for sharing your sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such an awesome day! And she is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is a door slammer too. It looks like so much fun! I can't wait for our first sewing project together!

    ReplyDelete