Friday, January 25, 2013

Chipping away....

...at my pre-baby arrival to do list.

You may or may not know that I am currently "baking" a baby girl. Good gracious does that take a lot of energy! Do you know what else takes a lot of energy? A three year old, who has absolutely no regard for Mommy's condition. I wouldn't change it for the world though. We feel so blessed to have a happy healthy daughter and to be adding to our small family.

Becoming a big sister is still somewhat foreign to our little angel. We have tried to draw parallels for her using her cousins and classmates as examples, but those babies go home and don't really affect her much. I am sure I am not the first (or last) Mom to worry about how baby 1 is going to handle baby 2, but I am trying to anticipate some of this issues and avoid the ones that I can and, hopefully, ease the ones that I can't.

I decided to put together a big sister bag. I plan to give this to her when she comes to meet baby sister in the hospital. Of course, I had to make a bag first. Thank you again to Jeni Baker's lined drawstring bag pattern. This size is bigger than the free tutorial provided on her site. I am definitely getting my money's worth with that pattern.

I also made this great little portfolio that we will add to the bag. I used this tutorial, making a few tweaks here and there. I really like how it came out.

The bag will also have her official big sister t-shirt, a small digital camera we have but no longer use, and a necklace made by my very talented sister (you can find her here). I haven't decided if that is a complete list or not, but it is certainly a good start. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Katie

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts

 

5 comments:

  1. Your big sis bag is a great idea! I have four kids so I've had some experience with older kids and a new baby...I made sure (after the second baby) to not be holding the new baby when big sis/bro is meeting them for the first time. I had the older kids get in bed with me and then dad gave us all the baby. This went over way better than the first time when I was holding the new baby for the first meeting. My son wanted me to "take her back". One of my friends gave her daughter her own new baby (dressed like her new sister with matching blankets)so they could take care of their babies together. It was a big hit with her daughter...Good luck with the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great advice Jeni! We will certainly do that.

      Delete
  2. I love the little portfolio you made with the markers. That is such a cute idea.

    -Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wonderful bag and portfolio, and it looks like you've got a good inventory in the bag already. My oldest granddaughter (5) became a big sister last April, and she has taken to it like a champ. She has her moments sometimes when she is unhappy that she's not the center of attention any more, but mostly she's totally in love with her little sister and misses her when she's not around. I bet your daughter will do just fine!

    PS Love the picture in your blog header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I look at that picture and marvel that it was less than three years ago she was that small. Now I feel like she is 3 going on 20!

      Delete